12:12 AM

The Treasure hunt!

|

The talent acquisition team in our HR Dept has been sitting idle since the time recruitment was frozen. With the general morale sliding in the organization with bankruptcy under debate and all corners being cut, someone had to do something about it.

Today the HR team was attacking one cubicle at a time with silly party games. By the time they came to mine they were out of stuff for their games. So a treasure hunt was formulated.

Whichever team found all of the 6 items first won. A brown belt, Rs. 500 note, 3 black markers, a lady’s identity card, a family photograph and a pair of sunglasses… Quite simple. I was on a call taking stock of the situation for my visit to Pune on Monday. Although I was not a part of the crowd, I was listening to what was happening. I had 3 items in the list. Made a pile of those and pinged the only lady in our team who sits on a floor below ours and requested to come to our cubicle and get her markers…pronto! I did not expect anybody to have a family photograph. So I pulled out a laminated team photograph. Well…Something had to be given. Nobody had sunglasses handy. I gave the heap to the lady who had come running up and asked her to submit it… All this happened within about 3 mins and me still on the call.

Although, the other team took 10 mins more than we did to accumulate these, we lost coz they managed to get everything.

But the funny part is that our team was declared the winner for the spirit with which we had accumulated stuff. Apparently the HR lady (an American) had been watching me and was blown away with the team photograph being given as a family photograph. Although I missed the glory speech, I joined in at the last minute and was given a ‘special gift’ which I passed to the only girl in our team coz she had taken the most trouble….and it’s our social responsibility to take care of the only girl in the team ;)

Although the exercise was pretty juvenile it had done it’s job. It was nice to see almost everyone on the floor laugh and smile after a very long time. Not sure how long that will last. Since I was the star of the show and all, I did increase my list of acquaintances on the floor. Now I’m forced to smile at more people than I normally did earlier….not that I’m complaining.

This reminds me of an audit in my previous company. We were the least prepared to face the audit and when the auditors came in they were shown an amazing picture of how things were done…building castles in the air and reinforcing it online. All the questions were answered to exceed his expectations and justified suitably. A different person answered based on what the question was. That audit is sort of a personal benchmark for team spirit. We were actually adjudged the best dept for that year!



Cheers!

2 comments:

Santhosh Mugoor (ಸಂk) said...

Congratulations for getting the special gift !! I appreciate your social responsibility :)

Based on the way we have handled the audit (and you are handling), for sure we can head auditing dept !!

Shilpa said...

How I wish my team also relizes thier social responsibility towards me the only girl in their team and passes on any gifts we win!