For the benefit of people who don't read kannada, the title reads 'Churmuri Uncle!' (Churmuri is puffed rice used to make bhel puri)


There's a foodcart which is always parked on New High School Road, near National High School in Basavanagudi. The duo who run the joint make typical Andhra-Shetty style snack items which are quite popular in the V.V Puram area. From what I hear those guys have been in the same business selling the same kind of stuff for over 30 years! Having studied in that school and continued for two years in the college adjacent to the school, this food cart was a favorite hang-out for us during those 5 years. Even after I joined Engineering, I used to go there occasionally. But when the construction work for National College flyover started around 2002, it became a pain to cross that area and eventually I stopped going to him. After a break of more than 6 years, I decided to visit him today.


I took a leisurely walk towards National College. From a distance I could see the blue tarpaulin, the cart shaking with the two guys chopping onions, the crowd gathered around it...pretty much the same sight I remember seeing the last time I was here. Looking at the crowd, I almost chickened out, but I was determined to eat there today. I ordered what I wanted and was expectantly looking at him for any signs of recognition. Nothing at all :( He went on with his work. I was looking around his setup to see if anything had changed. Aboslutely nothing has changed. The same set of tubs and boxes. The exact same setup. The only 'upgrade' is that they have become lil more hygenic; they wear gloves and a surgical caps now. Not bad! A few drooling moments later, I got my bhel puri. One bite of it and I was trying to figure out what made me to stop coming here. It was scrumptious and I ate one plate of everything he had to offer except for slices of pineapple. Even though I relished the food, I was disappointed a little bit because neither of those guys recognised me. I don't blame them. They deal with thousands of people everyday.

Slighly dejected I got closer to his chopping counter and asked for the total. Instead of telling me the amount he asked me how much it was with a sly grin. I claimed ignorance because I didn't know the individual prices. He started telling me the individual prices. I didn't get it at first. But later, I remembered that earlier I used to sum up, pay him the exact change and leave. He never used to think twice about the amount that I used to come up with. After my 'tubelight' blinked, the two guys and I started laughing. They knew who I was all along! Amidst catching up, he pointed out that I did not do justice to the pineapple and I was forced to eat it. Being stuffed completely, I tried to pay but they flatly refused...saying 'call this a welcome back treat!' It was not much...just about 40 bucks, but the gesture meant a lot. These guys have seen me through my chaddi-cycle days to denim-car days and more importantly, they remember all of it. I guess some business relationships go beyond business. I went home with huge smile as if I had won a million bucks in cash!

Cheers!