11:41 PM

A Scary Night!

|

At 2.30 am yesterday, I was dragged out of bed by mom who was visibly flustered. Before I could realize what the hell was happening I was standing in front of my dad who was in bed. One look at him… my sleep disappeared and I broke into a cold sweat.

He was acting weird. Almost as if he was drunken solid and inhaled nitrous oxide. He doesn’t drink and there was no other reason for the way he was acting. Although he was talking, walking, recognizing people, it was all incoherent. He was smiling and laughing like a deranged person. I was shit scared. I tried talking to him, making some conversation, acted as if nothing was wrong and tried finding out if he was feeling anything out of the ordinary. His responses were quite logical, but not convincing. All the while I was sitting next to him, he was caressing my hand: something that felt good but had never ever happened before. Then I observed that his pupils were completely dilated. Then it hit me. He was Hypoglycemic! He switched over to insulin shots a few months ago. I stuffed some sugar in his mouth and prayed that nothing is wrong. To be on the safer side we went to the hospital and got his blood pressure checked which was normal. On the way back, he started nagging about a turn that I made without switching on the indicator. That’s when I sighed with relief. I don’t think I’ve ever smiled when being shouted at but for yesterday! The sugar and the fresh air had brought him back to normalcy. Back home we stuffed him with some food forcibly and analyzed what went wrong. Apparently there were some guests in the evening and his eating schedule was disturbed. The insulin pulled his sugar level way below the safe limit. When the entire ordeal was over and everyone got back to bed, it was 5.30 in the morning. With only about 2 hrs left for me to leave to work, I decided to take an off (and am planning to take an off tom tooJ) There’s no way I can survive on 3 hrs of sleep. I can live without food for sometime, but sleep I need.


When we narrated what happened, he claimed (still claims) ignorance. The last thing he remembers was going to bed. The part between that and drive back home from the hospital is a blank. He still thinks we are exaggerating a little bit. I have stopped reasoning with him on that now. The day turned out to be pretty good. Had a generally lazy day and spent a major part in bed.

But after all of this, I realized how important a person can be in our lives although we take him/her for granted. It’s always on our mind that the people in our close circled will always stay around. Never does a thought arise that we are not immortal. We have limited time to spend with people that we love and care for and have to make the best of it. So if you had to say or do something to a friend or someone in the family or trying to make new friends or resolve a misunderstanding or whatever of that sort and are waiting for the ‘perfect occasion’, that time is now! What might happen tomorrow you never know.

Cheers!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well written....I could literally feel your fear...