11:11 PM

Just what I needed

|

It was just yesterday that I was trying to explore the chemical-philosophical-theatrical-psychological dimensions of happiness and today I was and still am quite happy. It's funny how one's mood changes for no particular reason or for trivial reasons. The only reason I could think of is the sudden (albeit temporary) traffic on my blog and a couple of comments (many verbal and some left on the blog). While talking to a friend, he said that my writing is getting better. That pops the obvious question. Was it a compliment or a wisecrack? That's a judgement call! "Whenever in doubt, always take it positively and say thank you!"® I did just that. The number of hits yest and today are more that the total hits in my blog's existence!! I have no clue what brought the blog from obscurity to limelight; not that I'm complaining. It's always encouraging to realise that other's read what's being posted.

Back to the topic. Today I woke up quite early, made some coffee for myself, tea for my folks and woke them up too. It was nice to see them blinking in surprise and looking at each other wondering if it was really me or were they having a synchronised dream. I winked at them, finished my daily routines, boarded my bus and reached office on time for a change. And there it started. There were many things that happened which would normally upset me. But I was determined not to lose it today. Several meetings, telecons and a bit of 'corporate volleyball' later I was still jovial. Amongst people pulling out their own hair if not others', I was the odd man out. After lunch I was asked to go to a supplier's facility. It didn't make sense coz I would reach around 4.30 in the evening, the job was not mine and it could have waited till tomorrow. To satisfy some egos I got into the shuttle bus, took a nice nap on the way and got down at Trinity circle at 4.15. It had just stopped raining and the weather was just amazing. The destination was about 5 kms away and I started looking for an auto. The few drivers who stopped refused to take me where I wanted to go but were ready to take me in the opposite direction. There is something about the Bangalore rain that makes auto drivers more arrogant. A few failed attempts later I changed my approach. Whoever stopped, I started asking them where they were going. The reactions I got were hilarious! I had a few laughs at their expense, but still did not get an auto. I decided I was in a wrong junction and if I walked a little further my chances were better. So I started walking towards Richmond road. It was nice to be walking on the footpath, dodging the rain water puddles, avoiding the water splashed from the vehicles on the road. All in all an adventure in itself! I went through the same circus again and still no auto. However I spotted a bus and boarded it. 5 mins in the bus and it had moved about 5 inches; back wards or forwards is debate-able. I knew that this would be the condition till the traffic light at the circle 1/2 km away. It would save time if I walk beyond and took an auto. I got down and stared walking again. After the circle, I neither got an auto which was willing to take me where I wanted to go nor a bus. I was pretty much screwed. Solution? Keep walking. Normally I don't mind walking at all. But I did not want to go to an office sweating like a pig and with messy clothes. Having no choice I took the risk and reached the place without any incidents. 5 kms covered in an hour. Not bad eh?

I finished the job and slipped out unannounced within 15 mins. I was looking for transportation options to go home from there but then I did not want to re-live the auto hunting experience. Moreover I enjoyed the walk so much that I decided to walk the remaining 9 kms too. The roads beyond that place have no footpaths and it's quite a task dodging traffic. What's life without a lil excitement? I went through Wilson garden and instead of going straight home I took a detour through the Lalbagh Botanical Garden. Just outside there was this guy who was walking by and beating the hell out of a pet bottle against the compound. He was venting out his anger on the bottle I guess. I was thinking what would it be like had I been doing that. Sometimes it's sad being civilized and being restricted from doing so many things ;) Inside, it was sheer bliss walking amidst the freshly washed trees. I actually removed my shoes and walked through the grass bare-footed (to protect my shoes. Don't take me for a romantic fool). With a laptop in a backpack slunk on my shoulders, and shoes in my hands, I must have raised a few eyebrows. But who cares? I was enjoying myself throughly. On the way I ate a fruit chat, paani puri and something that I don't even know what it was.


I reached home at 7.30 with a big smile on my face and surprisingly refreshed. Mom confirmed it saying that I look energised and asked if I had a date or something. I said "Yes I did. I was my own date." I'm sure she's still wondering whether I really had a date or was trying to be a smart alec. A cold shower later I was sipping coffee on my terrace with a book in hand. I can honestly say that I enjoyed my day today. I am still not able to pin point what was it that made me happy. Was it the rain or the pollution from motor exhaust or the arrogant auto drivers or the walk or the challenge of dodging vehicles or the uneven footpaths or the road-side stuff that I ate or being in the garden watching the sun set or the kids playing in the park. But the fact is somewhere in this episode my sanity was resurrected. At the end of it I decided to treat myself and had some chocolates and a triple sundae. As I'm typing this I have the sweet tingling pain of having walked around 16kms (-5 inches in the bus) after a very long time. I guess the last trek was 6 months ago.


Most of this might sound crazy to anybody who reads it. But I know for sure that one person who will read this will smile and can recall crazier things that I've done ;). What say?

Anyways, hope there are more of these impromptu occasions of being forced to enjoy Bangalore...by hook or by crook.

Cheers!


2 comments:

2emkay said...

hey nice blog!!! makes good reading..do continue more frequently

adb said...

Thanks madday.