12:15 AM

Vivacious Vir Sanghvi

|

A family friend of ours who’s a librarian gave us a surprise visit last weekend. This guy knows my taste of reading and lent me a good collection of books. I’ve started with a book called 'Men of Steel' by Vir Sanghvi. Normally I would have started this book last in the pile which includes White Tiger too. But the author attracted my curiosity.

I’ve always seen Vir Sanghvi on some news channel talking to politician or a film star on Star Talk (On Star News?). Never have I give him more than 2 seconds of attention; the time taken to switch channels. I was surprised that he has authored a book. The preface and the back cover is all that I have finished so far. The book is something of a transcript of Vir Sanghvi’s personal conversation with India’s business leaders ranging from the self-made Nandan Nilekani to the born filthy rich Ratan Tata. I did not want to dive into the book before I found out if the author was worth my time. And here is what I found out.

A graduate from Oxford, he has pursued journalism, beginning from being a founder-editor of Bombay at 22 years of age, to his current position – Editorial Director, Hindustan Times and Chief Editor of Sunday. He has tasted the entire media spectrum and now divides his time between print and hosting a couple of highly successful shows on TV.

Other than Men of Steel he has written two more books: One on food and another titled ‘India then and Now’. Some of his
articles on Mint are pretty nice. I especially liked his style of writing. It is almost as if he is talking. No complicated words or twist of the language and yet the quality of article remains well above average. Not many can write that way. All in all, a good journalist with a passion for journalism.

I’m yet to find out what the book is like (and very unlikely to blog about it). But one thing is for sure. He got his name included in my list of respectable journalists which has very very few names on it!


Cheers!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you read it...do write about it...should make an intersting reading!